This summer, we are going back to school on Dosimetry, learn all the fundamental principles of dosimetry looking at how our dosimeters work and more importantly, when they don’t. Have ever wondered:
- What’s the best practice when it comes to measuring small fields?
- What happens to your detector in a magnetic field?
- How do we estimate and quantify low energy and low doses of radiation?
- How meaningful is a CTDI dose for fan beams and how does this correlate to useful patient dose metrics?
This year’s theme, Deep Dive into Dosimetry, will provide you with the tools and techniques for safe and correct use of dosimeters to obtain accurate and traceable measurements. Learn the principles and limitations of your dosimeters and understand how to implement and evaluate them in your own institution, depending on workflow and resources.”
Summer School Program
A Detailed Program will be released shortly but here is a little starter. Due to the uncertainty of COVID, we have decided to change this year's Summer School to a virtual event. The Organising Committee is currently working tirelessly on the Practical part of the Program, which will also be released soon. Some of the theoretical sessions below will include a practical demonstration.
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - ARPANSA/ACDS/Incident register in the context of Summer School- what happens when good intentions lead to bad dosimetry
- Back to School on Detector Introduction: Physical Principles, Operation, Adv, Disad, Limits, Uncertainties
- Measuring Dose for Absolute Calibration, How to use your Calibration Certificate, Co60 vs NDwQ, MEX, SXRT (how to interpolate the tables)
- Source calibration, well counters, primary standards, traceability
- Survey Meter calibration
- Film dosimetry- Development and Delivery
- In vivo- TLD, OSLD, Alanine
- Determining Meaningful imaging doses CT, Planar/Fluoro, dose metrics
- Dosimetry in kV
- Dosimetry in Brachy- source calibration
- Risks posed by neutron contamination in high energy radiotherapy
20 CPD Points will be automatically allocated to medical physicists who register and attend the Summer School and automatically recorded in their CPD Tracker.